Friday, September 12, 2008

more magazines

I know I've been inundating you with posts, but I've got a lot on my mind! I promise to take the weekend off!

Okay you guys--here's the thing . . . you know about my little magazine problem, but what I failed to mention is a similar disorder with regard to cookbooks. I love cookbooks--I've got more that I will ever use and plan to continue adding to my collection. One thing I noted today was my tendency to combine the two addictions with the purchase of cooking magazines. One of my favorites is Cooks Illustrated. I just picked up the Fall issue--entitled "Fall Entertaining."






I love this magazine. It is all business and it's beautiful to boot! I've often thought of framing the back covers; they're that attractive. They have an online site, too, but I've got to hold and touch my cookbooks.



Not only do they have great recipes, they have great illustrations and photos. They also address almost every issue that may pop-up regarding each recipe. If you don't have this pan, you can use one of these--how to achieve a crustier layer for your beef tenderloin (not to mention how to stuff and tie it, too). I plan to hend this issue over to my daughter and son so they can try-out the "Perfect Potstickers" recipe with Scallion Dipping Sauce.


Then there's the equipment testing which is completely unbiased, as they do not have advertising in their magazine--they're not beholding to anyone to recommend their product. (I need a new pair of kitchen shears an guess what's reviewed on page 21?!?)


On a more, umm, curious note is a new magazine that caught my eye at the Y this morning. Have you seen it?



Only in the south. Here's the link to prove this is a real publication--not some photoshop manipulated laugh point. They're serious. This self-proclaimed "Soul of the New South" is on new stands--has been for a year. Hmm--the name sounds a lot like the soul of the old south, but in all fairness I've been pulled in by the 50 Best list. If I can get past the name, I may have a new siren calling me.


Thanks for your indulgence.

~Paige

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails