Tuesday, February 12, 2008

keepsake keepsakes

I am enthralled with my latest creation. It's nothing like some of the projects I've observed on other sites--I mean, there are some incredibly talented folks out there. I, on the other hand, a casual observer and one who tries to emmulate the clever ideas of others.

One such recent effort was attempted Monday night during our "How Do They Do That?" get-together. While flea merketing last month, Kendall and I saw an incredibly cool decoupaged suitcase. It was completely covered in vintage valentines. With a price tag of $150, it was a bit steep to bring back to the shop, so we decided we would try to replicate the romantic piece for our February project. We thought it the perfect project for storing your love notes and other special memorabilia.

I've been gathering ephemera and other what-nots for various projects around the shop and home, so we had a good start on items we could use to decorate our suitcases. Kendall is an avid scrapbooker, so she had lots of supplies, as well. We purchased additional items--romantic wrapping and tissue papers,doilies, as well as some clip art we downloaded from a wonderfully creative web site, http://www.thevintageworkshop.com/store/. Here are some pictures of our creations.


We had some trial and error throughout the process. I like Taylor and Kendall's idea to apply items across the opening--effectively gluing the suitcase shut--they will later cut it open with a razor. I think this will give it a really authentic "travel" look.

I'll try to describe this pictures, but the layout is never the same on my blog as it is in editing. (If anyone knows any secrets about this issue, please let me know.) The picture above, left with three of us, Taylor, Hunter (my daughter) and me. Above, right is a close-up of Charly's suitcase in process. On the right, sister Kendall--she and Taylor chose traincases for their projects.

Speaking of "travel," (a paragraph ago) we had a vintage travel magazine among our ephemera choices--this was a lot of fun for me, considering our years spent in Europe courtesy of the USArmy (and you tax payers!). I found several articles and advertisements regarding Germany. Another special note on mine was the page number 235 from a song book--Darren and I were "2" plus "3" kids, now we are "5." (I'm normally not so sentimental, but working on this project, well--it got to where I couldn't help myself!)






To the left (at time of editing) is Hunter's project. She is a talented artist and has an ongoing affection for fairies (encouraged by both of her aunts!). She covered her entire suitcase with a fairy themed wrapping paper--which she tore and collaged on. Now she's working on adding layers. The one below is Taylor's--she's still working on it. We both decided we need another day to finish . . . or perhaps start another. I'd like to do one of the train cases to use in the bathroom for my cosmetics. Below you'll see mine as I start on the second-ish layer.







Here it is nearly finished--everyone else had left my house, but I couldn't stop. I still need to do a little creative work around the metal fittings. I wrapped the handle with a wonderful piece of vintage velvet.

It's almost a week later, so I'm going to go ahead and just post this. I already have my next subject for my blog worked out in my head, so I'll probably add more later today. (Provided I'm able to "borrow" a neighbors internet connection!)

In the meantime, thanks for stopping by!

~Paige

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails