Tuesday, August 21, 2012

A Pinterest Inspired Project

1029
While I have been  decorating, embellishing these emergency candles for several years, I was looking for a new idea for a fall display I am working on.  I knew I wanted to wrap them in burlap, but for further embellishment, I was floundering.  I thought of tying-on a stem of wheat.  I thought of shipping tags with stamped images, but neither of these ideas moved me to action. 
1030
That’s when I remembered the burlap flowers I saw on Pinterest.
burlap flower

I remember noticing this pin because I had been planning to try to make burlap flowers for a pair of flip-flops I purchased earlier this summer.
I pulled-up the instructions (the best feature of Pinterest is the fact that you can trace almost every pin to its origin) and set about making my own.  Here  is how:
1)  First I set a straight line for cutting by pulling a single strand through the length of the burlap.
1025

2)  This is what it looks like (cut along the wide gap):
1027

3)  Cut the strips into 13 – 15” lengths.  Fold over one end, approximately 1/4”.  Apply hot glue and seal the fold.
1032

4)  On the other end of the burlap strip, lift two threads of the fabric:
1037

5)  grab those two threads and start pulling them away from the fabric, this will gather the fabric:
1038

6)  Pull the gathers as tight as possible without breaking:
1043


1044

7) Once pulled tight, bring end-to-end and glue:
1045
1046

8)  Once the glue is set, pinch one side of the gathered fabric.  The flat side will be the part you attach to the surface of the candle:
1048

9)  I tied a thin velvet ribbon around the candle—forming a square knot:

1049

10)  I then ran both ends of the ribbon through the center of the rosette:
1050

11)  I then added a vintage key (hard to see, I know, but take my word for it—you will see it in the next picture), slipping it onto one strand of the ribbon and tying a square knot to secure it:
1051

12)  and viola!  the finished project/product:
1052
I love all of the extra strings hanging and pulling away from the flower, it adds the rustic, nonchalance I was looking for with this project.

Have you actually followed-through on a project you saw on Pinterest?  I'd love to hear about it.

I'm hoping to link to Tuesdays Cowgirl Up! Creative Link Party, but if the link doesn't work, please go visit the following blogs:





thanks for your indulgence,


3 comments:

PCovi said...

You are SO creative!! See, you added your own style to what you found on P and I love it.

Cottage and Broome said...

I loved this project, simple but real cute. Yes I have done a project from Pinterest. An insanity project, I poked 400, yes 400 flag toothpick into Styrofoam to make a flag wreath (I posted about it). I might be one of those disturbed women in my post! Thanks for stopping by, Laura

Katherines Corner said...

Love the burlap flower embellishment, it's the perfect touch. I hope you will share this at the hop on Thursday. Hugs

Related Posts with Thumbnails